Home Health If you see this on potatoes, do not eat it, experts warn

If you see this on potatoes, do not eat it, experts warn

It’s all our fault that we keep a bag of potatoes in our pantry longer than we need to, but many of us think we can get a potato harvest by taking a piece of vegetable to any vegetable stalk. But that is not precisely the case. Experts say that there is a sign that eating potatoes is very dangerous, even if you have the cutting tools on hand to cut and remove any unsuitable area. Instead of trying to save potatoes, read on to find out when to throw them away.

If your potatoes have green spots, do not eat them.

You may think you can cut the green spots on your potatoes and eat them. But you will not solve the problem. According to Health Line, when a potato begins to produce chlorophyll, it turns green and is natural. But when you see that color, it means that your potatoes have started to produce solanine, another compound that protects them from damage by animals, insects, bacteria, and fungi. However, solanine is a green spot on potatoes and a penetrating toxin, and its high levels can be dangerous to humans.

One bad potato will make you sick.

Peel a squash, grate it and squeeze the juice, but it does not completely cure the problem. A 2005 case study published in the journal Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology found that peeling potatoes reduced the toxic plant compounds by about 30 percent, leaving up to 70 percent peeled potatoes.

According to Healthline, experts are not sure how much solanine should be taken to make you sick, as it is unethical to test this in humans. But case studies have found that consuming only 0.6 milligrams of solanine per pound of weight can cause disease. “That means 16 ounces of potato exceeds 20 milligrams of solanine per 100 grams of acceptable 100 grams, which is enough to make a person 110 pounds sick,” explains Healthline. According to Michigan State University, it is essential to keep green dotted potatoes away from weak people or overweight children. So the risk of solanine poisoning is high.

If you notice severe signs of solanine poisoning, consult your doctor.

Suppose you have eaten a green potato while in use or without green pieces. Especially, it is very important to monitor yourself for symptoms of solanine poisoning. Medical News Today’s common symptoms include fever, headache, abdominal or abdominal pain, diarrhea, fever below normal, vomiting, slow pulse, and slow breathing. And also, if you think you have developed any of these symptoms, seek medical attention immediately. According to Health Line, mild symptoms can go away in about 24 hours. But severe consequences have been reported from solanine poisonings, such as paralysis, concussion, breathing problems, coma, and death.

Proper storage can reduce the chances of solanine levels rising in your potatoes.

The way you store your potatoes allows them to increase solanine levels even more. According to Healthline, physical damage, exposure to light, and high or low temperatures cause these toxins to increase in potatoes.

Please let us know your opinions in the comments section below.

- Advertisment -

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Woman Posts Sexy Photos With Blisters and Oozing Sores To Prove That Her Genetic Condition Will Not Stop Her

A lady with a horrible genetic condition that causes her skin to blister and develops gushing sores has openly shown her scars...

Amazing Murals Street Arts That Come to Life Only During Rain

It is through their craft that these street artists find ultimate freedom. They use the whole universe as a vast canvas on...

Swollen Weird Creature Sighted On Australian Coast Identified

A weird creature with discolored skin was reportedly observed on an Australian beach earlier this month. It looked to be more extraterrestrial than...

Did The Frog-Marriage Ritual To Bring Rain Really Work?

It's mind-boggling to consider that a group of people might invoke the rain god and request him to provide rain. During times...