In Texas, a kid died after acquiring a brain-eating amoeba at a public park’s splash pad. The youngster had visited the splash pad at Arlington’s Don Misenhimer Park numerous times during the summer. The city has now said that human error might have caused the death while initially expressing ambiguity over who was to blame.
“We discovered two probable sources for the child’s exposure to water with Naegleria fowleri: the family’s house in Tarrant County or the Don Misenhimer Park splash pad in Arlington,” the Tarrant County Public Health Department stated in a statement.
Officials in Arlington, Texas, stated they were alerted on September 5th that a kid had been hospitalized due to an uncommon virus. Arlington is located between Dallas and Fort Worth.
While they investigated, the bodies shut down all of their splash pads parks.
The unidentified kid died six days later, and officials have since confessed that their inspections of the attractions had “gaps.” According to KSAT, records indicated that staff did not conduct water quality inspections in several situations.
“We’ve discovered several flaws in our daily inspection routine. “As a result of those gaps, we were unable to satisfy our splash pad maintenance criteria,” stated Deputy City Manager Lemuel Randolph.
“Parks and Recreation personnel did not regularly record, or in some cases did not conduct, water quality testing that is needed before the facilities opening each day,” according to municipal records quoted by NBCDFW.
The kid was infected with primary brain eating amebic meningoencephalitis. According to the CDC, there were only 34 such instances in the United States between 2010 and 2019.
Please let us know your opinions in the comments section below.